Thursday, April 22, 2010

Bronchiolitis

Poor Natalie has been sick now for two weeks.  It started as a rattling in her chest every time she breathed.  So we took her to the doctor and she said that it's probably a cold or allergies.  Ironically, she also mentioned that a lot of babies have been coming in with bronchitis.  The rattling continued and almost a week later she got her first fever.  I got the call from daycare, and luckily, Jeff was able to take her in to the doctor again that day.

This time, she said that Natalie had a bacterial infection and prescribed her antibiotics.  The fever continued for 3 more days and broke the day before her baptism.  She had developed this horrible cough and was still wheezing.  By day 12, she still had the cough though she was starting to perk up a little more.  Took her in a third time and insisted on seeing the doctor this time (had seen the nurse practioner the past twot imes).  He diagnosed her with bronchiolitis and gave her a shot of steroids to help with her breathing.  He said that bronchiolitis is a bit more severe than bronchitis as it is deeper in the lungs and is a term for bronchitis that is reserved for infants.  Natalie's wheezing improved remarkably the night she had the shot and even started cooing more the next day.

She is still cooing more, but is now wheezing again.  The cough is still there and the doctor warned me that it would stick around for a few more weeks.  I was concerned about the wheezing though (since I have asthma and all the talk about RSV) so I emailed the doctor today.  He said the wheezing can come back at any time over the next several weeks to even a few months from now!  Yikes!!  I certainly hope it's not going to be that long!  My poor baby.

There are certain things I can keep an eye out for (per webmd) should she need to go to the hospital.  Please pray that she heal soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment